Windows 7 Migration Assessment
BigFix's Windows 7 Migration Assessment Fixlet site is designed to help companies assess if their existing computers and applications will be eligible to move to Windows 7 by analyzing the hardware according to Microsoft's published Windows 7 specifications and by checking to see if the installed applications are compatible with Windows 7.
- Verifies Windows 7 system compatibility by checking CPU speed, memory size, free disk space, and video memory.
- Compares installed applications to Microsoft's "Windows 7 Application Compatibility List for IT Pros" spreadsheet, which is frequently updated with the latest compatibility info from Microsoft.
Installation / Use InstructionsThe Windows 7 Migration Assessment Fixlet site is fairly simple. The site consists of:
- Two Analyses - "Windows 7 Application Compatibility" and "Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility" that collect the Windows 7 compatibility info for your computers.
- One Task - "Test Windows 7 Application Compatibility" that will assess the application compatibility by comparing your applications (from Add/Remove Programs) on each computer to Microsoft's Windows 7 Application Compatibility List for IT Pros.xls. Note that you will not see application compatibility data until you run this task on your computers.
- One Dashboard - Summarizes the computer hardware and application compatibility information.
- One Web Report - Similar to the dashboard but located in web reports.
- Subscribe to the "Windows 7 Migration Assessment Fixlet site masthead" for your BigFix by double-clicking on the file on a computer with the BigFix Console installed (or by going to Tools > Manage Sites in the BigFix Console).
- Enable the two analyses.
- Target the "Test Windows 7 Application Compatibility" Task to any computer that you would like to assess Windows 7 Application Compatibility. (It is recommended to read the Task description for information and notes.)
- Open the "Windows 7 Compatibility Dashboard" or web report for charts and graphs regarding your Windows 7 compatibility status.
- Microsoft appears to update the Windows 7 Application Compatibility List periodically (check Microsoft's website for more information about when the spreadsheet was updated) and you can re-run the "Test Windows 7 Application Compatibility" Task whenever you would like to get updated information.
- The BigFix Agent compares the Windows 7 Application Compatibility List for IT Pros.xls to the entries in your Add/Remove programs and reports matches (for matching compatible or incompatible software). Since Microsoft's list is not comprehensive and not all applications in Add/Remove Programs represent a full application, it is expected that there will be many "unknown" entries where Windows 7 application compatibility will not be known for the entry.
- If you run the "Test Windows 7 Application Compatibility" Task on a 32-bit computer, the results returned will be for 32-bit applications and similarly for 64-bit computers, the 64-bit application compatibility will be used.
For questions or comments, please post on the BigFix Labs forum at: http://forum.bigfix.com
Click here to download and subscribe to the Windows 7 Migration Assessment Fixlet site.